Rep. Adam Kinzinger Considered Using His Gun During U.S. Capitol Insurrection!

Three alumni of the Department of Politics and Government re-elected to public office - News - Illinois State

Adam Kinzinger

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) thought he might have to use his own gun to save his life when trapped in the U.S. Capitol on January 6th while supporters of Donald Trump were searching for lawmakers. 

“There was a moment where I was like, ‘Man, there’s a real sense of evil.’ I can’t explain it any further than that. And I’m not one of these guys that feels evil a lot. But I just felt a real darkness, like a thick, bad feeling,” Kinzinger said. “And there was about a 15- to 30-minute time frame, where, at one point, you realize they’ve breached the Capitol. I know if they can breach those outer lines, they can get anywhere, including my office.”

Kinzinger said he had already been “targeted on Twitter” that day and earlier.

“And people know where my office is. So I barricaded myself in here, thinking, ‘If this is as bad as it seems, they may end up at my office, breaking this crap down, and I may have to do what I can,’” he said.

Kinzinger said he spent six hours in his office that day, “hunkered down, with my gun out, prepared to defend against my own party.”

He had a bad feeling about the day even before it began, and told his staff to stay home because he was worried about violence.

“I knew there was going to be violence. I didn’t necessarily know they were going to sack the Capitol, but I knew there was going to be violence. In fact, I warned [House Minority Leader] Kevin McCarthy two days prior to it. And he was very dismissive of it, of course,” Kinzinger said.

This is what our country came to during the presidency of Donald Trump. Rep. Kinzinger deserves a medal for his honesty.  He is a person of values who called out Trump and the Republicans who supported the insurrection on January 6thIt is a shame he won’t be running for re-election.