Anthony G. Picciano is a professor in the Education Leadership Program at Hunter College and the Ph.D. Program in Urban Education at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York (CUNY). He is also a member of the faculty in the masters program in Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences and the doctoral certificate program in Interactive Pedagogy and Technology at the CUNY Graduate Center, and the CUNY Online BA Program in Communication and Culture. In 1998, Dr. Picciano co-founded CUNY Online, a multi-million dollar initiative funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation that provided support services to faculty using the Internet for course development. He was a founding member and continues to serve on the Board of Directors of the Online Learning Consortium (formerly the Sloan Consortium). Dr. Picciano’s research interests are leadership, education policy, Internet-based teaching and learning, and multimedia instructional models. Dr. Picciano has conducted major national studies with Jeff Seaman on the extent and nature of online and blended learning in American K-12 school districts. He has authored numerous articles and frequently speaks and presents at conferences on education and technology. He has authored fifteen books including:
- CUNY’s First Fifty Years: Triumphs and Ordeals of a People’s University (2018, Routledge/Taylor & Francis)
- Online Education Policy and Practice: The Past, Present, and Future of the Digital University (2017, Routledge/Taylor & Francis)
- Educational Leadership and Planning for Technology, 5th Edition (2011, Pearson)
- The Great American Education-Industrial Complex: Ideology, Technology, and Profit (2013, Routledge/Taylor & Francis)
- Data-Driven Decision Making for Effective School Leadership (2006, Pearson)
- Distance Learning: Making Connections across Virtual Space and Time (2001, Pearson)
- Educational Research Primer (2004, Continuum)
- Blended Learning: Research Perspectives, Volume 1 (2007, The Sloan Consortium)
- Blended Learning: Research Perspectives, Volume 2 (2014, Routledge/Taylor & Francis)
- Conducting Research in Online and Blended Learning Environments: New Pedagogical Frontiers
(2016, Routledge/Taylor & Francis).
Dr. Picciano was elected to the Inaugural Class of the Sloan Consortium’s Fellows in 2010, in recognition of “outstanding publications that have advanced the field of online learning”. Dr. Picciano was also the 2010 recipient of the Sloan Consortium’s National Award for Outstanding Achievement in Online Education by an Individual.
Visit Dr. Picciano’s website at: http://anthonypicciano.com