First Day of DNC:  Booker, Michelle Obama, Warren, and Sanders Bring the House Down!

The Democratic National Convention kicked off yesterday in Philadelphia amid controversy regarding the WikiLeaks scandal and the replacement of Debbie Wasserman-Schultz as the chairperson of the Democratic National Committee.  However, once the show started with the Mother Bethel Church Choir singing The Battle Hymn of the Republic, the game was on.  The Choir was followed by Baltimore mayor, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, and within the first five minutes, we saw more African-American faces on the stage than we saw in the entire arena last week at the Republican National Convention.

The main speakers last night, Corey Booker, Michelle Obama, Elizabeth Warren, and Bernie Sanders gave solid emotion-filled oratory that rocked the audience and I am sure the television viewers.  Here are a few snippets.

Corey Booker:  “Go alone and you go fast!  Go together and you go far!  We will rise!”

Michelle Obama:  “I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves. And I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent black young women, playing with their dogs on the White House lawn. And because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters and all our sons and daughters now take for granted that a woman can be president of the United States.”

Elizabeth Warren:  Skewered Donald Trump as the “Great Trump Hot-Air Machine” and “his goofy hat”.

Bernie Sanders:  We want “Not just bombast.  Not just name-calling.  Not just divisiveness.  I am proud to stand with HER.”

A fine evening for the Democrats after a shaky start.