United Nations World Food Programme Wins the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize!

World Food Programme

It was announced this morning that the United Nations’ World Food Programme (WFP) won the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to combat hunger and food insecurity around the globe.

The organization provided assistance to almost 100 million people in 88 countries around the world last year.

“I think this is the first time in my life I’ve been without words,” WFP’s head David Beasley told The Associated Press from Niger. “I was just so shocked and surprised.”

Beasley said he found out about the award from a WFP media officer who had just been informed by the AP.

The Nobel Committee said that the coronavirus pandemic has added to the hunger faced by millions of people around the world, and called on governments to ensure that WFP and other aid organizations receive the financial support necessary to feed them.

“With this year’s award, the (Committee) wishes to turn the eyes of the world to the millions of people who suffer from or face the threat of hunger,” said Berit Reiss-Andersen, the chair of the Nobel Committee, announcing the award in Oslo. “The World Food Program plays a key role in multilateral cooperation in making food security an instrument of peace.”

“The World Food Program contributes daily to advancing the fraternity of nations mentioned in Alfred Nobel’s will,” she said.

Congratulations!