Chiara de Blasio Discusses Alcohol/Substance Abuse and Mental Health Issues (VIDEO)

On Tuesday, December 24th, Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio’s daughter, Chiara, made a youtube video about her personal battles as a teenager with alcohol and substance abuse.  I was not sure what to make of the carefully scripted video at first especially since it was coming one week before her father assumes office.  The timing of it I presume was to nip in the bud any “expose” of her problems that might appear later on in the tabloid press.  However, I watched and listened to it a second time and regardless of the motive, I have come to the conclusion that Chiara has used the social media to deliver an important message to young people especially those who are having a problem with alcohol or substance abuse.  Furthermore, she makes a genuine plea to those suffering from abuse to seek professional help and uses her own experience as an example of what to do and how to get back on track with your life.  I congratulate her honesty and candor in going public with her story.

Well worth a view!