Dear Commons Community,
Last week, the news at Hunter College was the announcement of a gift of $25 million by alumni, Leon G. Cooperman and his wife, Toby. The Chronicle of Higher Education yesterday listed the top five donations to colleges and universities in 2013 to an American college or university as follows:
- $350 million from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg to Johns Hopkins University.
- $250 million from the A. Eugene Brockman Charitable Trust to Centre College (Kentucky)
- $200 million from New York real estate magnate and Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to the University of Michigan.
- $151 million from real estate developer John Arrillaga to Stanford University.
- $133 million from Qualcomm Inc. co-founder Irwin Jacobs and Joan Klein Jacobs to Cornell University and Technion-Israel Institute of Technology.
New York City’s mayor, Michael Bloomberg, who heads this list, has given more than $1 billion to his alma mater, Johns Hopkins, over the past forty years.