Mitt Romney: Dick Cheney Is ‘The Kind Of Person I’d Like To Have’ As Vice President

As the Republican primary season continues,  it is my opinion that Mitt Romney so far has been the best of the field.   However, the Huffington Post has an article on a talk that Romney gave last night at a town hall meeting in Arizona.   In response to a question regarding a possible running mate, he stated:

“I think it was last weekend, I was watching C-SPAN, and I saw Vice President Dick Cheney, and he was being asked questions about a whole host of issues — following 9/11, the affairs in various countries in the world…And I listened to him speak and said whether you agree or disagree with him, this is a man of wisdom and judgment, and he could have been president of the United States. That’s the kind of person I’d like to have — a person of wisdom and judgment.”

Cheney was possibly the worst thing that happened to the United States in the past fifty years.  Actually it is a toss-up between him and Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense.   Cheney lied to the American people about missiles of mass destruction as a pretense for the Iraq War, he was deep in the back pockets of the oil industry and Halliburton, and he was as involved as his good pal, Scooter Libby, in the Valerie Plame affair.

Romney’s handlers had better rewrite his script and clue him in that reference to the likes of Cheney as a possible running mate is political suicide.