‘Aren’t you proud’: Bill Clinton endorses Kamala Harris in torch passing at the DNC

Photo: Mandel NGAN / AFP via Getty Images

I was celebrating my 77th birthday last night with my wife, my son, and his partner last night and did not watch too much of the DNC Convention. However,  I did catch the end of former President Bill Clinton’s speech. I have not seen him in several years but have a little nostalgia for him. He has aged a bit. His voice is raspier. His left hand shakes but his message was clear and well-received.  The focus of his comments was to help pass the party’s torch to a younger generation and to give a resounding endorsement of the Harris-Walz ticket.  Here is a brief summary courtesy of USA Today.

After the former president took the stage to a rapturous ovation and recognized the notable change of energy surrounding the party after President Joe Biden dropped out of the presidential race saying, “aren’t you proud to be a Democrat.”

Clinton took multiple shots at Republican’s economic record, saying that 50 million jobs had been created under Democrats since the end of the Cold War compared to one million jobs under Republicans.

Clinton also took swipes at Republican nominee Donald Trump, including his propensity to mention fictional characters in his speeches.

“When you send a signal to other countries you want them to know, whether they agree with you or not, that you’re on the level about what you say and what you believe,” Clinton said. “What are they supposed to think about the endless tributes to the late great Hannibal Lecter?”

Clinton’s appearance was a reminder that the convention at the United Center served as a transition from the party away from triangulation and NAFTA to a party of infrastructure spending and child tax credits.

“I love seeing all these young leaders,” Clinton said. “They look better, they sound better and they’ll be exciting.”

I agree!