John Mogulescu Memoir in New Book Entitled, “The Dean of New Things”

John Mogulescu, long-time CUNY dean and colleague of mine has just published a memoir entitled, The Dean of New Things:  Bringing Change to CUNY and New York City.  John spent almost fifty years at the City University of New York, most of which were at the central office where he served as dean in the office of academic affairs.  I have known John for almost thirty years and can say without a doubt, his contributions were unique and made a lasting impact on CUNY.  Here is my brief review.

First, the title, The Dean of New Things is perfect. It reflects the projects that he undertook which were new and exciting, and most importantly, filled a need that likely would not have been met at the colleges.  I am most familiar with his work with the School of Professional Studies, ASAP (Accelerated Study in Associate Programs,) , and Guttman Community College, all of which are singular accomplishments.  

Second, he provides keen insights into the importance (for good or bad) of various city and state influences that had a significant impact on CUNY and especially the projects with which he was involved. His cultivation of relationships with political and other external actors is a story that had to be told.

Third, his perspective as a central office  administrator comes through loud and clear. He has fine commentary on the various chancellors and vice chancellors with whom he worked.  His opinions of Matt Goldstein and other CUNY chancellors are especially illuminating.

Fourth, he is most gracious in the way he compliments his staff and others especially administrators who worked with him.  They are often overlooked in much of the higher education literature. It is a wonderful reflection in that he gave credit to many of the staff people who frequently go nameless in a book of this type.

Lastly, I found it a pleasurable read.  Very accessible and finely edited. It flows easily and I read its 330 pages in four days.

If you are at all interested in a CUNY insider’s story,  consider picking up a copy!