Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities Annual Conference!

Today is a travel day for me to Dallas to attend the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities Annual Conference.  I am part of a panel presentation entitled, For-Profit and Non-Profit Universities: Serving vs. Enrolling  Under-Served Populations.  (Monday afternoon, Reunion Ballroom C)    If any members of our community are attending this conference, please stop by.

Also take a look at Frank Rich’s column, Who will Stand Up to the Superrich?   in  today’s NY Times.  He takes “big shots” at the “big shots”.  He refers extensively to  Jacob S. Hacker (Yale) and Paul Pierson (University of California, Berkeley) book, “Winner-Take-All Politics.”    It is an indictment of the behavior of both parties in catering to the will of the superrich by maintaining grossly unfair tax policies.   The best line in the column is taken from John Raese, who recently lost in a  West Virginia senatorial bid and lime and steel magnate, who without apparent irony was quoted as saying, “I made my money the old-fashioned way — I inherited it.”  Frank Rich goes on to write that America is  heading into another Gilded Age.

The full NY Times article is available at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/opinion/14rich.html?pagewanted=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a212

2 comments

1. Hi Tony,

Hope you’re having a good time in Dallas and best with your panel presentation at the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities Annual Conference tomorrow. I remember reading about the book “Winner-Take-All Politics” from Bob Herbert’s op-ed column, Fast Track to Inequality. Very insightful and disheartening at the same time. I want to add this book to my reading list, but I’m afraid that I will, as Frank Rich says, “read this book and weep”.

Best,
    Sarah