Dear Commons Community,
One of the good guys at Fox News, host Neil Cavuto, returned to the airwaves yesterday after a month-long absence, revealing to viewers that he had been battling a life-threatening COVID-19 infection in an intensive care unit.
“I did get COVID again. But a far, far more serious strand. What doctors call COVID pneumonia. It landed me in intensive care for quite a while and it really was touch and go,” Cavuto said on Fox Business’ “Coast to Coast.”
“Some of you who wanted to put me out of my misery darn near got what you wished for. So, sorry to disappoint you,” he added, apparently referring to death threats and abuse he received last year after encouraging viewers to get vaccinated. He did so after he suffered a breakthrough COVID-19 infection in October.
The veteran anchor has multiple sclerosis and a heart condition, and survived stage 4 cancer, which compromises his body’s ability to develop immunity and receive the full benefits of the vaccine.
He had been not been on the airwaves since Jan. 11, according to Mediaite.
In October and again last night, he credited the vaccine for saving his life.
“Because I’ve had cancer and right now I have multiple sclerosis, I’m among the vulnerable 3 percenters or so of the population that cannot sustain the full benefits of a vaccine,” he said. “In other words, it simply doesn’t last. But let me be clear, doctors say had I not been vaccinated at all, I wouldn’t be here. It provided some defense, but that is still better than no defense.”
Welcome back, Mr. Cavuto, your viewers need you!