Barack Obama’s Farewell Speech:  Implores Audience to Cheer for Incoming President Donald Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Zo8vHOgaM

Last night, President Barack Obama gave his farewell speech to the nation.  While he spoke eloquently of American democracy and especially its smooth transition of government, one of the most noteworthy moments came when he asked the audience to applaud Donald Trump.

“In ten days, the world will witness a hallmark of our democracy,” Obama said — referencing Trump’s coming inauguration.

President Obama then proceeded to convince the audience  to cheer for the incoming president and his administration,  as he championed the “the peaceful transfer of power from one freely-elected president to the next.”

The juxtaposition turned the tone of the crowd, and led Obama into an address about the importance of members of opposing parties supporting each other in order to support the American people.

“I committed to President-Elect Trump that my administration would ensure the smoothest possible transition, just as President Bush did for me,” he continued. “Because it’s up to all of us to make sure our government can help us meet the many challenges we still face.”

The crowd clapped and cheered in agreement with the president.

A class act!