Special Edition of the International Journal of Interactive Multimedia and Artificial Intelligence on Multisensor User Tracking and Analytics to Improve Education!

The International Journal of Interactive Multimedia and Artificial Intelligence has just published a special edition on multisensor user tracking and analytics to improve education and other social applications. Sponsored by UNESCO, the eight articles in this edition provide a plethora of information and insights on issues and applications appropriate to the theme. Multisensor user tracking and learning analytics have attracted a lot of attention across the globe as more countries attempt to provide greater access to education and other social services via online technologies.

This edition includes an article I was invited to contribute on learning analytics and blended learning. Entitled, Big Data and Learning Analytics in Blended Learning Environments: Benefits and Concerns, I attempted to contextualize analytics and to provide a critical overview of the field, with a special focus on blended learning situations. The article reviews how learning analytics can benefit from the already existing work (e.g. with Herbert Simon’s “bounded rationality” theory) with data-driven decision making models and therefore can help in the advisement and other decision-making processes for teachers and learners. My conclusion is that big data and analytics are not panaceas but can provide quite valuable tools to improve educational systems. I also caution that a data gap may take place in blended learning situations that may hinder the effective application of learning analytics tools.

The entire special edition is available at: http://www.ijimai.org/journal/node/679