Still on the North Sea: Great Lecture!

Because of the poor Internet connection on board the ship, I am a bit cut-off from my normal news resources.  I attended a lecture yesterday by an historian, Charles Carlton.  The lecture was on the Baltics, much of it to do with World War I and World War II.  He did this while we were passing near the area of the World War I Battle of Jutland in the North Sea.  Pretty interesting.  He also told the following story of Winston Churchill.

In the early 1950s, Churchill was introduced to give a short talk by a stiff upper-lip teetotaler as someone who had consumed a good deal of alcohol during his life (Churchill was a well-known drinker).    To make the point, the teetotaler indicated that if you could measure how much alcohol Churchill had consumed over the course of his lifetime, you would be able to fill much of the room in which they were situated.  Churchill came to the podium and asked how much of the room would be filled with alcohol and the teetotaler pointed to a spot about three-quarters up on the wall.  Churchill went to the wall and then looked to the spot and said:

“So much more to do and so little time to do it!!”

More later!

North Sea

One comment