Five Young Women Gymnasts Win Gold in London!

There will be many stories of victories, losses, and redemptions in this year’s Olympics but those of the United States women’s gymnastics team will be among the most happy in London.   As described by several media outlets:

The five teenagers put forth a series of stunning performances that kept them in first place from start to finish, with a slim lead eventually turning into a landslide. Still, with hearts pounding, they saved their celebration until it was official.

Minutes later, when the United States appeared at the top of the leader board announcing that the Americans had won the Olympic team gold medal, the gymnasts could no longer contain their joy. As chants of U-S-A roared throughout the arena, they smothered each other in hugs and wiped away happy tears.

“We knew that we could do it because we did it at worlds, but you just never know,” said 16-year-old McKayla Maroney, who competed only on vault. “Now I can’t believe I have an Olympic gold medal hanging around my neck. It’s really unbelievable.”

The Olympic victory was a long time coming — it was the first one for the United States women’s team since the Magnificent Seven’s gold at the 1996 Atlanta Games.