Rick Perry, Prayer Meeting, and Matthew 6.5!

On one of the morning news shows, Christopher Hahn, was interviewed regarding  Governor Rick Perry’s (R-Texas) prayer meeting at Reliant Stadium on Saturday.  The event has drawn criticism for its Christian theme as well as for one of its primary sponsors , the American Family Association, which advocates against gay rights.  The event attracted about 30,000 people in a stadium that holds 70,000.   Mr. Hahn invoked the Gospel according to Matthew several times specifically with reference to private vs.  public prayer.

I am not fluent enough in the New Testament to recognize chapters and verses so I had to do a search to find the actual reference.  Here it is.

Matthew 6:5:   “Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in temples and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. 6:6 But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you. 6:7 When you pray, do not babble repetitiously like the Gentiles, because they think that by their many words they will be heard. 6:8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 6:9 So pray this way:…. [and goes on to reciteThe Lord’s Prayer – Our Father who art in heaven…]

It seems like appropriate commentary to me.

And can I get an AMEN!

2 comments